Saturday, November 17, 2007

Del.icio.us

Have heard a great deal about this web site from friends but it is not till this discovery exercise do I get the opportunity to explore its usefulness and potential.

I really like Del.icio.us and the way the bookmarking is organised. It is amazing to see how each user tags similar topics differently and from the little I have seen, some keywords used in tagging are more common and less formal though they may not be correct. I went into the PLCMCL2 account and viewed a few of the resources. I really like the way you can view all the sites under one single tag. It is great that what you bookmark and tag can be shared by others and you can also see theirs, thus creating a collective research on various subjects. I suppose that is what is meant by social bookmarking. It is awesome to see that some sites provide you with an RSS feed to receive updates to new bookmarks you have added or those added by your friends.

I think this is a powerful research tool as it gives the user many different ways of accessing useful websites which are highly organised. The unstructured tagging keywords make this tool less threatening to those who may not be familiar with their research topics. Yet they will get a very staisfying result!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Some love it and others hate it, agree that it is a useful research tool